Saturday, April 21, 2012

granny's garden revisited

gentle lady, mother of nine,
widowed too young -
no time to grieve;
times were hard,
life had to go on.

in your golden years,
when you could take some ease,
you planted the whole front yard
of the house on clemson street
with flowers -
an outpost of eden.

you were already white-haired
and worn
when i came along.
i loved the way you poured your coffee
into the saucer for me -
laced with sugar and lots of cream.
you would pat my hand,
and say:  come sit near granny
and i would snuggle up beside you,
my head, resting on your  bosom.

i did not know then
what i know now -
how age and the cares of this world
catch up with us in the end.
how i wish i could roll back time
and join you in your garden
once again....

-stacy wills (4/21/9012)

4 comments:

Louise Gallagher said...

What a beautiful mandala and tribute to your granny Stacy.

I never knew either of my grandmothers. Only met my mother's mother once. never met my father's mother.

Any time spent with granny's is valuable time!

Thanks for sharing your poem. It is lovely.

Stacy Wills said...

thanks, louise! she was a very special lady, indeed. i miss her so.

Betty Anne Colp said...

Stacy, what a beautiful strong poem... and a wonderful heritage. Brings back the essence of my warm, snuggle Nannie and her company of roses and old-fashioned jasmine. Blessings around your Monday...

Stacy Wills said...

thank you, betty anne! and thank you for stopping by...ah yes! the smell of jasmine...is there anything sweeter? blessings!